WONCA is an acronym comprising the first five initials of the World Organization of National Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicians.
The short name is the World Organization of Family Doctors. WONCA was established by 18 members in 1972. It currently consists of 122 member organisations in 102 countries, with a total of 500,000 family doctors. WONCA represents and acts as an advocate for its constituent members at an international level, where it interacts with world bodies such as the World Health Organization. It is comprised of seven regions: Africa, North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, South Asia, Iberoamericana-CIMF and WONCA East Mediterranean Region.
The European Regional Branch, WONCA Europe, is the academic and scientific society for general practice/family medicine in Europe. We represent 47 member organisations and more than 120,000 family doctors in Europe.
WONCA Europe's mission is to improve the quality of life of people through fostering high standards of care in general practice/family medicine by:
• providing a forum for exchange of knowledge and information;
• supporting the development of the academic organisations in our discipline; and,
• working on, and advocating for, educational, research and service provision activities of family doctors.
We support the professional development, research, education and quality improvement of general practice/family medicine, through our networks and special interest groups.
- Networks European Academy of Teachers in General Practice/Family Medicine (EURACT)
- European General Practice Research Network (EGPRN)
- European Network for Prevention and Health Promotion in Family Medicine and General Practice (EUROPREV)
- The European Rural and Isolated Practitioners Association (EURIPA)
- The European Society for Quality and Safety in Family Practice (EQUIP)
- The Vasco Da Gama Movement (VdgM)
Special Interest Groups
- European Primary Care Cardiovascular Society (EPCCS)
- General Practice Infectious diseases Network (GRIN)
- International Primary Care Respiratory Group (IPCRG)
- Primary Care Allergy Interest Group (PCAIG)
- Primary Care Diabetes Europe (PCDE)
- The European Society for Primary Care Gastroenterology (ESPCG)
National Colleges, Academies, or Academic Associations of General Practice/Family Medicine, representative of the family doctors of that country, can become full or associate members of WONCA World and participate in the regional activities of WONCA Europe. They can also appoint one member to the WONCA Europe Council, which represents the governmental and administrative body of the organisation. Individual members can become direct members of WONCA Europe.
Established in 1995, the European Journal of General Practice (EJGP) is the official journal of WONCA Europe. It is an open access, international, peer-reviewed scientific journal, publishing high-quality, original research. In line with our mission, EJGP aims to foster scientific research in primary care in Europe, and stimulate education and debate, relevant for the development of primary care in our region.
Bursaries and Awards
WONCA Europe gives out an Award of Excellence in Health Care – The 5 Star Doctor – each year, as well as funds for special projects, and runs an annual scholarship programme.
A WONCA regional conference takes place each year and includes a meeting of the WONCA Europe Executive, a meeting of WONCA Europe Council and a scientific and educational conference.
For more information, contact us at WONCA Europe Secretariat:
Adm. Secretary Barbara Toplek