The European Journal of General Practice is looking for an Associate Editor [Maastricht, 25 May 2023]
The European Journal of General Practice (EJGP) is a peer-reviewed international open access journal publishing high-quality original research in European primary care medicine (family medicine, general practice). It is the official journal of WONCA Europe, the European Society of General Practice/Family Medicine, and published by Taylor and Francis. The EJGP operates a double-anonymised peer review policy.
To complete its Editorial team, the European Journal of General Practice is seeking an Associate Editor from the United Kingdom or Ireland
About the Journal
The EJGP was established in 1995. It is published online as one issue yearly. The journal is included in the following abstracting and indexing services: Index Medicus/MEDLINE; Current Content/Clinical Medicine; DOAJ; EMBASE/Excerpta Medica; PMC; Science Citation Index Expanded; SciSearch; Scopus. The journal’s current citation metrics are excellent: Journal Impact Factor (2021) 3.636 (Q1); 5-year Impact Factor (2021) 5.654; CiteScore (Scopus) (2021) 8.5 (Q1).
You can find more information below.
The Editorial Team
The current Editorial Team consists of Professor Jako Burgers, PhD (the Netherlands), Professor Wolfram Hermann, PhD (Germany), Professor Helena Liira, PhD (Finland), dr Carl Llor, PhD (Spain), Professor Manfred Maier (Austria), Professor Christian Mallen, PhD (UK), dr An de Sutter, PhD (Belgium), Professor Athina Tatsioni, PhD (Greece), Professor Henk van Weert, PhD (the Netherlands), Professor Adam Windak, PhD (Poland), and dr Jelle Stoffers, PhD, (Editor-in-Chief, the Netherlands). Ms Anneke Germeraad-Uriot, Editorial Assistant, supports the Editors.
Professor Christian Mallen, the current Associate Editor, will leave and EJGP needs a replacement.
What does an EJGP Associate Editor do?
- You lead the peer-review process of manuscripts assigned to you by the Editor-in-Chief. You can expect 2-4 assignments per month. You are responsible for inviting expert reviewers. Based on the reviewers’ reports, you write a motivated recommendation to the Editor-in-Chief to support his decision on ‘acceptance’, ‘revision’ or ‘rejection’. You write a clear message for the Authors.
- You participate in editorial teleconferences (approximately one evening (1-1.5 hours) every six weeks).
- You participate in person in the live annual editorial meetings (1 or 2 days), either organized at the yearly WONCA Europe conference or on a different date and venue.
- You provide the Editor-in-Chief with suggestions for possible Series, commissioned review articles, commentaries by expert authors and special issue topics.
- Occasionally you write an Editorial (rotation scheme, once per two years).
- We expect you to act as an ambassador for the journal, e.g. promoting the journal at conferences and within your network.
What qualifications are we looking for?
- You are an enthusiastic general practitioner (family physician) or primary care researcher.
- You are an experienced researcher (PhD degree) and author. You have (co)- authored a substantial number of papers (we think of at least 30) in peer-reviewed international medical journals.
- You know about of open-access journal publishing and open research. You master the English language.
- You adhere to international standards for reporting medical studies. You adhere to international standards on research ethics.
- You adhere to international standards on publication ethics.
- You have access to a personal network of potential expert reviewers. You combine an open mind with a good sense for the potential quality and impact of submitted manuscripts.
- You are critical in your judgments but also prepared to invest in constructive feedback and guidance on writing.
- You can work with deadlines.
- You like to do this kind of work.
What do we offer?
- An enthusiastic team that is used to electronic ‘long distance working’.
- An electronic ‘manuscript management system’ (https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/EJGP )
- Support by our Editorial Assistant.
- A small allowance for your editorial work.
- Reimbursement of the costs of travel and stay for the yearly editorial meetings.
How do you apply?
If you are interested in this job, please send your application letter and a short CV before 26 June 2023- to Ms Anneke Germeraad-Uriot (email@example.com ). A notification letter, including the selection procedure details, will be sent when your application has been received.
For more information, please get in touch with Jelle Stoffers, Editor-in-Chief
Jelle Stoffers MD, PhD, Editor-in-Chief
The European Journal of General Practice
Dept. of Family Medicine, CAPHRI Care and Public Health Research Institute, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
More information on the European Journal of General Practice (EJGP).
The EJGP publishes original research papers, review articles and clinical case reports on all aspects of primary care medicine (family medicine, general practice), providing new knowledge on medical decision-making, healthcare delivery, medical education, and research methodology.
Areas covered include primary care epidemiology, prevention, diagnosis, pharmacotherapy, non-drug interventions, multi- and comorbidity, palliative care, shared decision-making, inter-professional collaboration, quality and safety, training and teaching, and quantitative and qualitative research methods.
The EJGP accepts original research papers, review articles and clinical case reports. Although the journal focuses on articles that provide or discuss new evidence underpinning the daily work of the practising family physician and the primary care team, we welcome contributions from other disciplines, including health sciences and social sciences.
The EJGP respects regional differences in health care systems, cultural backgrounds, and societal and economic development stages. It welcomes manuscripts from all parts of Europe. Manuscripts from other parts of the world will be assessed for their relevance to European primary care.
You can find detailed information at the EJGP website https://www.tandfonline.com/journals/igen20.